Janet M. Thayer, Esq.
Janet M. Thayer is an experienced attorney practicing in the areas of trusts and estates, elder law, commercial and residential real estate, and business law. She has worked with individuals to meet their estate planning needs, including the elderly, as well as settling trusts and estates. Ms. Thayer has handled a number of guardianship cases commenced under Mental Hygiene Law Article 81, including acting as court evaluator, assigned counsel for the alleged incapacitated person, and guardian, as well as the petitioner's counsel. Ms. Thayer has also represented both sellers and purchasers in residential real estate transactions, and individuals and businesses in commercial real estate transactions, sales, purchases and leases. She has also taught as an adjunct lecturer at two local colleges, and she has lectured at continuing legal education seminars and other public forums.
Ms. Thayer received a Bachelor of Arts degree in History, magna cum laude from Wheaton College, in Norton, Massachusetts in 1985. She received a law degree from Albany Law School of Union University, Albany, New York in 1988. Prior to joining the Firm as Of Counsel, she was a sole practitioner for six years. Before establishing her own practice, she was in-house counsel for a private not for profit institution, as well as in-house counsel for a state agency, and an associate with a small Albany firm.
Ms. Thayer was admitted to the Bars of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts n 1988, New York State in 1989, and US District Court of the Northern District of New York in 1989.
- Albany Law School Union University, Albany, New York
- J.D. – 1988
- Wheaton College, Norton, Massachusetts
- Honors: magna cum laude
- Major: History
- New York, 1988
- Massachusetts, 1988
- U.S. District Court Northern District of New York, 1989
- New York State Bar Association
- Albany County Bar Association
- Capital District Women's Bar Association
Current Employment Position
- Of Counsel
- Estate Planning
- Estate Administration
- Real Estate
- Business Development
- University at Albany President’s Award for Excellence in Professional Service, 2016
- SUNY Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Professional Service, 2017
- Sole Practitioner, 1999 to 2005
- Town of Guilderland, Zoning and Appeals Board Member, 2002 to 2004
- Town of Guilderland, Zoning and Appeals Board Attorney, 2004 to 2005
- Siena College, Albany, New York, Adjunct Teaching, Estate Planning, 2001 to 2004
- Schenectady County Community College, Schenectady, New York, Adjunct Teaching, Trusts and Estates, 2000 to 2000
- Albany Medical Center, Albany, New York, Associate Counsel, 1998 to 1999
- State University of New York, System Administration, Albany, New York, Associate Attorney, 1993 to 1998
- Segal, Sherrin & Glasel, Albany, New York, Associate, 1989 to 1993
- Stockli, Slevin & Peters, LLP, Of Counsel
- Murphy, Barber, Burns & Murphy, LLP, Of Counsel