Margaret A. Vella
Margie is a founding partner of Vella, Carbone & Associates LLP. Prior to law school Margie worked for a number of years in as a financial officer in nursing homes, gaining experience in Medicaid planning and other long term care issues. She earned a Master's Degree in Public Administration from Russell Sage College, graduated Albany Law School in 1994, practiced family law for several years, and has concentrated her practice in the areas of elder law and estate planning since 2006. Margie is an experienced Guardian, Court Evaluator and Guardian ad litem, assisting in providing services for incapacitated individuals. She has a broad range of speaking experience covering topics that include family law, guardianship issues, planning for incapacity, and Medicaid.
Outside of her law practice Margie has been an active and enthusiastic community volunteer. Margie is a frequent speaker for the Albany Guardian Society community programs, and provide pro bono legal services through the Legal Project Inc. She has earned recognition for her many years of community service including: The Kurt Clobridge Memorial Award for Pro Bono Service, Legal Project, Inc., 2000; Friends of the Children's Center in recognition of leadership and dedication to justice for families appearing before the Court, 2009; Sister Mary Coons Memorial Service Award, Food Pantries for the Capital District for help in alleviating hunger in the community, 2010; Food Pantries for the Capital District Recognition of Service, 2014; Food Pantries Certificate of Appreciation for service on the Board, 2001-2014; YWCA of Northeastern New York Women on a Mission, 2018; NYS Assembly Citation for community service, 2019; Certificate of Special Congressional Recognition for outstanding and invaluable service to the community, 2019; Legal Project Inc. Outstanding Service Award, 2021; Paul Harris Fellow for contribution to the Rotary Foundation.
- Albany Law School of Union University, Albany, New York
- Russell Sage College
- Major: Public Administration
- SUNY College of Technology
- Major: Business/Public Management
- New York, 1995
- Capital Districts Women’s Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- Estate Planning Council of Northeastern New York
- Schenectady County Bar Association
Current Employment Position
- Founding Partner
- Medicaid Planning
- Estate Planning
- Estate Administration
- Special Needs Law and Guardianship
- Estate Litigation
- Member, Food Pantries for the Capital District
- President of the Friends of the Albany County Family Court Children’s Center
- Volunteer Attorney, Legal Project, Inc.
- Member, Rotary Club of Delmar